The goal of our survey was to receive actionable direction from residents as to the preferred types of multi-family housing for Reading. The survey was open from June 6 to September 5, 2023 and was publicized on the Town website, Town social media, in the Town Manager Minute, by the Recreation department, the Library, the Economic Development Director, the Senior Center staff, to Board and Committees both via email and at in person presentations and at community events. We received a total of 758 responses, which met our goal.
We strongly encourage anyone who is interested in the detailed survey results to read the full survey results report. You can access a PDF of the survey questions here.
Takeaways from the survey include that respondents preferred:
- Multi-family buildings with fewer units
- Smaller buildings with fewer stories
- More “house-like” architectural options
- New multi-family units should be near public transit, commercial corridors, and walking distance to pedestrian amenities.
- Respondents highlighted open space, traffic, and changes to neighborhood character as their top concerns with new multi-family housing.