What is the procedure to either widen my existing driveway, or to add an additional driveway on my property?

As stated in the Town of Reading Driveway Rules and Regulations, all proposed driveways or modifications to existing driveways must be submitted for approval to the Department of Public Works Engineering Division. A sketch of the modification must be submitted indicating all trees, hydrants, poles, etc., as well as the gutter grade, property line grade, and proposed grades in sufficient detail to insure compliance with all Driveway Rules and Regulations. If the Engineering Division determines that all of the regulations are met, the proposed driveway alterations may be approved. Any granite curbing removed in the process of making these driveway modifications shall become the property of the Town of Reading. The Town of Reading Driveway Rules and Regulations can be obtained by either going to the “Driveway Construction and Street Opening” section of this website or by stopping by the Engineering Division in the lower level of Town Hall where a copy may be obtained.

Show All Answers

1. When is my street going to be paved?
2. How do I obtain a plot plan for my property?
3. Where on my property are the water and sewer pipes located going into my house?
4. What year was my house built?
5. Can I connect a drain line on my property into the Town’s drainage system?
6. How do I request to have the underground utilities on my property marked by Dig Safe prior to any excavation?
7. How do I obtain a new house number, or how do I change my current house number?
8. Does the Engineering Division recommend any surveyors?
9. What is the procedure to either widen my existing driveway, or to add an additional driveway on my property?
10. What is storm water?
11. Why did Town Meeting and the Board of Selectmen vote to establish a storm water enterprise fund (SWEF)?
12. Why is storm water management necessary?
13. How is the SWEF fee calculated?
14. How is total impervious surface area determined?
15. For what purposes will SWEF fee revenue be used?
16. Will residents be assessed a SWEF fee if their property is located on a private way or on a town accepted street that does not have catch basins or storm drains?
17. Are there certain types of properties that are exempt from the storm water fee?
18. Has the Town made any provisions for storm water abatements?
19. What are some typical storm water devices that qualify for storm water abatements?
20. What are some typical devices that do not qualify for storm water abatements?
21. Where can I obtain more information or file for an abatement?
22. Is the storm water abatement permanent?