Agendas & Minutes

Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.

View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes

What does the Engineering Department do?

The Engineering Division provides the Town of Reading with professional engineering and survey services required to plan, design, construct, operate, and maintain Town facilities and infrastructure among which include all roadway, sidewalk, water, sewer, and drainage projects, as well as the contract preparation and cost estimation associated with each.

The Engineering Division is responsible for updating Town maps, maintaining and assigning all house numbers, and developing and coordinating the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Phase II stormwater program. We maintain all permits and applications for the Town related to driveways, sidewalks, curbing, street occupancy; water and sewer connections; drainage connections; and stormwater abatements. All of our project designing is greatly aided through the use of our state-of-the-art survey equipment combined with our computer-aided design (CAD) and Geographic Information System (GIS) software, allowing us to be on the leading edge of technology in our field today.

In addition, the Engineering Division is responsible for coordinating and overseeing the painting of all traffic pavement markings including crosswalks, centerlines, parking stalls, and roadway stencils throughout the Town as well as reviewing and inspecting all sub-division and site plans, making sure that compliance is met according to the Town's subdivision rules and regulations.

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12
  13. 13
  14. 14
  1. When is my street going to be paved?
  2. How do I obtain a plot plan for my property?
  3. Where on my property are the water and sewer pipes located going into my house?
  4. What year was my house built?
  5. How do I obtain a new house number, or how do I change my current house number?
  6. Can I connect a drain line on my property into the Town’s drainage system?
  7. What is the procedure to either widen my existing driveway, or to add an additional driveway on my property?
  8. How do I request to have the underground utilities on my property marked by Dig Safe prior to any excavation?

The Engineering Division has a prioritized list that is used to determine what year your street is scheduled for paving, pending all necessary funding. This list was produced by a private consultant and then approved by the Board of Selectmen. A copy of this list can be viewed in the Engineering Division. General concerns regarding pothole repairs on your street should be directed to the Department of Public Works Highway Division at (781) 942-9092 Monday through Friday, between the hours of 7:00am and 3:00pm.